Sunday 25 September 2011

When what you have in your mind is not what gets created

Grrrr, alas today I finished a thin scarf that I anticipated would look differently. It has been a project that I have been playing with for a while now. It started, as most projects of mine do, with a beautiful ball of wool. This time with a lovely blue and indigo graduated fine sock wool. Usually wool this fine gets used in crocheting little delicate things, but I thought I would whip out the fine needles and create a long thin scarf.

First attempt was the usual way, cast on number of stitches for width of the scarf and knit like crazy for the length. After about 15 rows, I noticed that with the needles I was using and the tension I was knitting at, the end started to curl....mmm. Maybe this curl would be better along the length of the scarf.  So all was undone and the second attempt started with casting on the number of stitches needed for the length of the scarf.

Second attempt involved mucking around with length of scarf and tension. So for a scarf of 120 cm length, with 30 stitches per 10cm, I began to cast on 360 stitches. Yep, it was an interesting experience loosing count and re counting all those stitches. Now I remember why I don't tend to play with creating jumpers.

Circular needles were a must for all those stitches

Great! looking good, it was curling in the right direction, all I had to do now was continue knitting till I got a thickness of around 10cm (remember skinny scarf). Width achieved the casting off begins.

Ahh, yeah well probably should have kept on knitting given the curl
 Oh well, too much curl, it can happen to the best of us. Maybe I can block it and iron and see how that goes.

 


  Tried that, no success, still curling badly.That's OK, i'll try to felt it, that will hopefully calm it down a bit.

Yeah well, if I knitted it in green it would be a fabulous snake like scarf.

In a last ditch attempt to make it look remotely like I had planned, it's back to the needles again. This time using the first approach of stiches wide and rows in length. Then sew them together. Hopefully  this will work like joining paper and the two curl will counter balance.

Stay tuned for whether the third attempt works or whether it becomes a member of the graveyard of lost crafts.


No comments:

Post a Comment