Sunday 25 September 2011

Fine then, I'll make a paperdoll, I know that'll work

After the somewhat disappointing results of the blue scarf, I was determine to make something that works and looks pretty. So out came the newly purchased french craft company's Japanese paper dolls targeted at 8-14 yo (they came from Childplay Toys in Woden). Surely these will satisfy my need for successful outcome, I can do these, I'm way older than 14.


So the box was opened, and the sheet containing Uchiwa was chosen because she had a lovely paper fan. Being the control freak that I am, the instructions were read first. Read is a loose term, as the instructions are pictures...must be a European thing as they were as easy to follow as Ikea instructions.


If you look closely at the above picture, you may find that the arms become rather curved. They look really cool, except when you try to glue them onto a smooth surface. There is a technical difficulty with the gluing a curved arm to a smooth body, there is just too much air  in between. Hmm the easy outcome activity option is starting to fail. So, how do I put something in the space? My first thought is that great double sided foam. Yeah that would be great if I had some....people who know me and my collection of craft things would be surprised to hear that I don't have something. Anyway, back to the problem at hand, well arm (yes I know bad pun). How about quilling, yeah I can put a little paper quill in between and it can be the spacer. Great! 


So with some major findling, with card, then paper quils and glueing in the right space the arms were attached. All now that was needed is the hair, and voila a French Japanese Paper doll.


Soon after finishing the doll, my dear flat mate returned home. After some idel chit chat I told her about the little doll and how much a craft genius I was by using quilling to put the arms on. Her response, Why didn't you use a glue gun... Don't you just hate a smarty pants!


No comments:

Post a Comment